Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What is up with having a 'proper' job?

So, I still don't know what this thing is for, but since it's here, I might as well vent on it.

It's extremely frustrating when people assume you don't know what you're doing, because they don't see what you're doing, and your attempts to explain to them go zooming past their gray matter, because well, they've already decided that you don't know what you're doing.

I don't like 9-to-5 jobs. For several reasons. From what I see, there are generally two ways 9-to-5 jobs swing, at least here in Malaysia.

Option A: You're paid X amount, but worked 3X amount.

Option B: You're paid to work for X amount of hours, but you've finished your work in half the allocated time, and now you're stuck at the office surfing Facebook, or reading this blog, or refreshing Twitter.

I don't see the point in being overworked and underpaid, nor do I see the point in pretending to look productive so I can clock in the hours. I'd rather do my work, get paid properly, and go do better things with the rest of my time.

But see, the general mindset of the Chinese family is that anything other than a 9-to-5 job is not a proper job. Freelance schmeelance. Even retainer fees aren't legit. No EPF or SOCSO? Shame on you!

Now I admit, not everyone can do freelance. Some people enjoy the structured environment provided by a 9-to-5 job. If you've found the perfect balance between your pay and your hours, then well, by all means, enjoy.

The pros of going freelance:
  1. You are your own boss
  2. You manage your own time
  3. You control your fees
  4. You decide what you want to work on
  5. You don't have to pretend to love your colleagues or listen to them croak during company karaoke sessions

The cons of going freelance:
  1. If there are no projects, you don't get no moolah darling.
  2. Networking helps. Not for the shy, unless you're some super-talented genius, whom everyone wants to hire. You pitch your own projects.
  3. No EPF or SOCSO, or medical benefits, or coffee, however bad.
  4. If you don't have no discipline, this ain't gonna work. No one's gonna breathe down your neck and scream, "YOUR DEADLINE IS IN 3 HOURS, YOU MORON!"
  5. Some people may look down their noses at you. Don't worry though, all you need is an economic crisis, and suddenly the word 'freelance' is desirable.
Like I said, I'm not opposed to 9-to-5's. If it's your cup of tea, stick with it and enjoy every sip. I just don't appreciate being seen as not having a 'proper' job because I refuse to work 9-to-5. What on earth is a 'proper' job anyway?

If you're a good freelancer, you should be able to secure a retainer fee, which allows you to work freelance, but with a fixed monthly income, so you've got a measure of security.

... I realize now that I've gone completely off tangent. But it feels good to get at least part of it off my chest. It's been stuck there for a long while, like a stubborn gob of phlegm that you want to hawk and spit somewhere, but haven't been able to. Not everyone will appreciate it, but it feels bloody good to get it out.

Now I can sleep a little sounder.

No comments: